A few days ago I was asked to give the business benefits of delivering a SharePoint service. So I started to have a think, I searched and found this great video from 2012 SharePoint Saturday in the US by Dux Raymond.
Dux highlights the pains of implementing SharePoint and it being used incorrectly and how best to avoid common pitfalls. These 5 points are summarised below:
- Raise Executive Awareness – Do they understand the value of What SharePoint brings to an organisation?
- Educate & Engage the business – Address the business pain points & challenges. Describe how this can be remedied using SharePoint. Don’t Call it SharePoint – Call it what is not by the technology!
- Keep your priorities in order – Project scope needs to be limited and specific
- Assess Organisational Readiness – Platform Implementation, Change Management, Release Management, Support
- Establish a Road Map – Help quantify how you can get maximum ROI from SharePoint by outlining solutions & features which will be deployed
If you keep these simple points to mind when looking at SharePoint you can get great value from an implementation. Remember SharePoint should be utilised as a business platform, it links to Office which is the most commonly used tool Microsoft offer making it a perfect companion for the majority of any business to plug in to!
Video Link: https://vimeo.com/43350153