I came across this error when I was testing a workflow built using SharePoint 2010 Designer:
‘The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the items require a different type of information’
SharePoint Designer workflows (in my experience) don’t really provide any meaningful error messages. So I did a quick google (as you do 🙂 ) and found this article –
It described the problem I was having so I tried the resolution and hey presto, it worked!!
It basically suggests rather than using an Update List Item Action on the current list, use the Set Field in Current Item Action as it prevents Sequential workflow errors.
Thanks to Anthony Clegg and Happy workflowing!